My top 10 reasons why school librarians are essential for students to succeed:
1. School librarians teach reading, inquiry-based research and problem-solving skills by providing a range of resources so all students can succeed.
2. School librarians provide reading incentives to enable all students to succeed with reading books at their “justright reading level” or Lexile level.
3. School librarians teach students how to become information literate and perform beginning research.
4. School librarians teach students visual literacy, digital literacy and digital citizenship.
5. School librarians provide access to resources via online catalogs such as RICAT through RILINK with online resources such as LibGuides to support access to over a million resources (http:// guides.rilinkschools.org/).
7. School librarians teach teachers how to use technology and how to incorporate Common Core State Standards into informational texts with assignments so students can succeed with the reading, literacy and research standards.
8. School librarians integrate information literacy standards into the curriculum and collaborate with teachers by integrating research/ inquiry process and critical thinking into the Common Core State Standards (www. ala.org/aasl/standards-guidelines/ crosswalk).
9. School librarians ensure that all students have access to the statewide databases and other electronic resources for their research assignments or personal growth via AskRI. org.
10. School librarians and school libraries contribute to improved student achievement as seen in research across the United States where school libraries are fully staffed and resources are aligned to the curriculum in School Libraries Work! (see www.scholastic.com/ SLW2016/).